Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog, 14 yr old black lab, has a growth of some sort by her

Customer Question

my dog, 14 yr old black lab, has a growth of some sort by her armpit of front leg. We did not even know it was there until it started bleeding tonight.
it is about an 1-1/2" long and is bleeding from the end of it
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At first we thought it might be a huge tick since it seems to be hanging off but attempts to dislodge it do not seem to work. It is about 1-1/2" long, rather oval in shape, red. It does not seem to be giving her pain. we have wrapped it with gauze tightly to see if that will stop the bleeding
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next ten to fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Older dogs commonly get small skin tags and soft warts and various non malignant bumps and lumps, the majority of them are absolutely nothing to worry about at all. For example the armpit area is a common site for soft warts, many of these as I say are non malignant but they can often end up ulcerating or bleeding. 2. However there are no guarantees over the internet and there is always the chance that a very few of these could be malignant and this alone is a reason to have your dog checked by a vet. Where such lesions are bleeding then it is usually a simple matter for your vet to remove them surgically, often just by snipping them away under local anaesthetic. Where they are hanging off and appear to be on a stalk then they can sometimes be removed by tying the base off with strong thread, this cuts of the blood supply and they then fall off on their own a few days later. 3. In your case bandaging or wrapping it in some way is your best option until you can have your vet take a look. I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the growth near her armpit.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The growth appears to be better today, is drying up some. Still bleeding a bit, but not as much as it was. Thank you for checking back, we will see the vet after the weekend.
OK, thanks for the update.
Hopefully this is something minor ...
Regards,
Scott