Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

There. My dog, an 80 pound Retriever, just chewed one a

Customer Question

Hi there. My dog, an 80 pound Retriever, just chewed one a 20mg casual of Prozac then spit it out. It looks as though she injested about 50% of its contents. What do you recommend?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your help. I think we will be okay with a written reply.
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ...1. Good news! Prozac { fluoxetine } is often prescribed for dogs under the trade name Reconcile. For dogs the dose range for fluoxetine is between 0.5 to 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight once daily. So for your dog the top regular dose would be 80 mg. 2. So if he swallowed 10 mg { Half a 20 mg capsule } then the chances are this would have very little effect on him and there is nothing special you need do in this sort of situation. He should be just fine ... You can confirm the above dose rate and read more of how this drug is used in dogs HERE I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! Thanks Dr. Scott.
No problem, very glad to have advised you ... Regards, *****
Hello again Angels,
I am just checking back in to see how Wiley is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Prozac incident.
How are things going?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.