Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

About 30 minutes ago my dog 10 yr old dog got into a Kleenex

Customer Question

About 30 minutes ago my dog 10 yr old dog got into a Kleenex where I had spit into it two pieces of gum that contained xylitol and ate the gum, do I induce vomiting?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi this is Dr J and I will be happy to help you with this. Had you chewed this gum for awhile before you spit it out?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes--I had chewed both pieces for about 30 minutes each piece. One was in the morning and one was about an hour before she age the gum.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
well more than likely most of the xylitol was chewed out of it but dogs are super sensitive to xylitol so I do think that you should induce vomiting since she is a smaller dog. Do you know how to induce vomiting/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one tsp hydrogen peroxide for every 10 pounds? Do I mix it with any water or just straight hydro peroxide?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
just straight hydrogen peroxide but it needs to be 3% hydrogen peroxide. You can give 1 tsp per 10 pounds and repeat in 10 minutes if you need to. I will wait while you do this in case you need more help. Just write me back when you are done. DrJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
any luck?Have you been able to induce vomiting?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I am waiting to hear from you to see if Honey has vomited? Can I be of further help to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave her two doses 10 min apart and she still has not vomited.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it has been over an hour now since she ate the gum, would she have shown signs by now if it was going to affect her?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Ok, well we have two options at this point. Some dogs do not respond to hydrogen peroxide and will need to get apomorphine by an ER vet. I think the amount of xylitol in the gum was probably pretty low by the time you had finished chewing it, but no way to be sure. In all likelihood your dog will pass the gum and be fine. There is no guarantee though. What other questions can I answer?
No she would not necessarily have shown signs yet as xylitol can cause hypoglycemia and liver failure which I feel is unlikely because of what I said above.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Can I answer any other questions or help you in any way?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I repeat the hydrogen peroxide again? If she was hypoglycemic, what signs would she be showing?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
right now she is her perky self.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
It is very unlikely that the hydrogen peroxide is going to work if it has not already worked. Typically if it works it is almost always pretty soon after getting it. Hypoglycemia would first appear as weakness and can progress to seizures which again I feel is very doubtful based on the fact that the gum had been chewed so much. You likely ingested most of the xylitol. There had to be very little left in the gum. But only way to be sure is to go to ER and have apomorphine given to Honey.
Can I answer any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I will watch for those signs and if she starts acting unusual I will take her to ER. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Though I cannot say for sure, I think Honey will be fine. Watch for vomiting, diarrhea, weakness and if you see any of this or if there is a loss of appetite take her to the ER. Can I be of further help to you tonight?
If I have helped you, please accept my answer. Thank you
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I have to retire for now. But should you need further help, I will be checking my computer tomorrow. Take care, DrJ
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
How is your pet today? And do you need further help?
Most Sincerely, DRJ