Dr. Emily
Dr. Emily, Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate veterinarian at a small animal clinic
77376308

Dr. Z. I have an 8-year-old 15lb male Pomeranian who started vomiting and having diarrh

Customer Question

Hi Dr. Z. I have an 8-year-old 15lb male Pomeranian who started vomiting and having diarrhea this morning. As far as I know, he has not eaten anything strange, and he is not the type of dog to eat everything he comes across. (In fact, I dropped a sausage in front of him in the kitchen yesterday, and he only looked at it.)
His vomit is pale yellow and somewhat mucoid. When this started about 4 hours ago, he would vomit about once every 20 minutes, but he seems to be vomiting less frequently now (the last time was an hour ago).
How can I tell if this is a transient issue and at what point should I take him to the vet? Are there any warnings signs I should watch out for?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
The doctor this question was originally for is not available at this time. My name is***** and I would like to assist with your question today
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
The two types of belly pain that are most common are simple gastroenteritis (upset stomach) and pancreatitis. With simple GI upset, we withhold food for 24 hours and then introduce a bland diet. The bland diet can be cooked at home with bland, white chicken breast with NO SEASONING or lean cooked ground beef NO SEASONING and plain white rice. You can also use a prescription bland diet such and I/D, W/D or Royal canin gastrointestinal formula. I recommend small, frequent meals, to get the GI tract back on track. Do not continue to feed more food too quickly as this can cause a setback. Once the vomiting is resolved, you can slowly mix in more of the dog food and mix out some of the rice mixture. This transition needs to be over a few days so we can watch for vomiting to return. Sometimes diet is enough to help but other times pets need a medication called cerenia to settle the stomach. This needs to be prescribe from a veterinarian. If further signs develop such as diarrhea, decreased energy level or no appetite, further tests need to be completed to be sure something more severe is not going on, such as pancreatitis.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know what follow up questions you have after you review that information.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Emily