How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Candy Your Own Question
Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 11619
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Candy is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a mix breed dog who is just over a year old. He

Customer Question

Hi, I have a mix breed dog who is just over a year old. He is very much like Marley of Marley and Me. I just walked into the living room from the kitchen to see what he was doing and saw that he'd taken my cigarettes out of my purse. There was tobacco spread all over the couch, but it also looks like he may have eaten a couple and I was looking to see if that amount could hurt him and what, if anything, I should do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that Brody got in to your cigarettes,typical lab. I would be happy to help.
Nicotine can be toxic to dogs. The toxic dose is 5mgs per pound of body weight. 1 cigarette contains 15-25mgs each depending on the brand.
Because we do not know for sure how much he may have ingested I would suggest inducing vomiting using hydrogen peroxide (3%). This is given at 1 teaspoon per 10lbs of body weight not to exceed 3 tablespoons regardless of weight. If needed you can mix this with a little milk to make it easier to give. After giving the peroxide walk him around to mix the contents in the stomach. If he does not vomit within 10 minutes you can repeat the dose one time only.
I would also suggest giving Pepcid AC 30 minutes after inducing vomiting to help soothe and protect the stomach. While needed to induce vomiting the peroxide can be hard on the stomach. The Pepcid is dosed at 0.25mgs per pound of body weight every 12 hours for 2 days.
Signs of toxicity would be stumbling, muscle tremors, dilated pupils, increased heart rate, weakness,increased respiratory rate or hyperactivity. These are just the most common symptoms we see. If he does not vomit or he begins to show any symptoms or odd behaviors at all I would get him in to the vet right away.
I hope this helps and he does ok.Please do not hesitate to reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating to close out the question. Closing the question does not mean that you can not come back for follow up as the question is always open to you. It simply closes it on my end so I can assist other pet owners. I strive to provide excellent service so please reply back if I can be of additional assistance.