Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My shih-tzu is trowing up diahrea and shivering, not is energetic

Customer Question

My shih-tzu is trowing up diahrea and shivering, not is energetic self.
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried to give water and fresh food and he won't go near it. What can i give him to make him feel better?
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your little one is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions so I can better assist you.
How old is he?
Has he been fully vaccinated( 3 sets of vaccines)
Any recent change in his diet, new foods, treats or human foods?
How long has the vomiting and diarrhea been going on?
Are his gums nice and pink, if you touch them are they moist/slippery or dry/sticky?
Any chance he got in to something he should have or ingested any nonfood items such as stuffing or small toys?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's 8 months and he has all of his vaccines. I changed is food from purina to hill's science diet. His gums are pink and wet, the vomiting stopped but the diarrhea since this morning. My husband found a chicken bone chewed off, and the kids gave him a little bit of chicken last night, when i noticed it I put a stop to it.
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information.
If you have recently switched his diet, then this would be the most likely cause in addition to the chicken bone. Changing dog food should be done over a period of 7-10 days to prevent digestive upset.
His gums are nice and moist so that tell us he is not dehydrated from the vomiting so there are some thing we can try to do to help him at home.
Pepcid AC 1/4 of a 10 mg tablet every 12 hours can help reduce the nausea.
I would not even offer food for at least 6 hours from the last bout of vomiting. I would also suggest trying a bland diet for the next few days. Boiled hamburger or chicken mixed with boiled white rice. This is easily digested and the rice will help to firm the stool. Feed this is small meals several times per day. After 3 days start adding back in his regular kibble mixing it 3/4 bland diet 1/4 kibble then increasing the amount of kibble over 3 days until he is back on the kibble only.
You can also add 1/2 teaspoon of canned pumpkin to his meals twice daily for a few days to help firm the stool as well.
If this is due to the diet change this should resolve after a day or two on the bland diet.
If he continues to vomit, refuses to eat for more then 24 hours or he seems painful when you press on his belly then he should be seen by your vet to be sure that the chicken bone did not cause any damage to the digestive tract and to make sure if the chicken was greasy that it has not caused some inflammation of the pancreas.
I hope this helps and he feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
If you have no additional questions please take the time to provide a rating to close out the question. Closing the question does not mean that you can not come back for follow up as the question is always open to you. It simply closes it on my end so I can assist other pet owners. I strive to provide excellent service so please reply back if I can be of additional assistance.