VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

IMG_8318.jpeg It's a picture of what my dog threw up

Customer Question

Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
Is there a possibility you can post the picture to http://imgur.com/, then post that link here?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's actually a picture through texting is there anyway I can text it to you
Unfortunately, the client here isn't easily set up to attach images. The easiest way to send a pic is through a third-party image-hosting service like imgur or tinypic. They chat client may also let you attach it as an attachment by clicking on the little paperclip icon just above the chat box.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
http://imgur.com/T6dNEoB
Thank you for sending that picture. It looks to me like plant stems and some fleshy material.
I know it's really alarming due to the red color, which they can vomit blood if there's irritation to the stomach/esophagus.
How is Bella acting right now? Is she continuing to vomit, or is she otherwise acting normally?
Can you take a look around your house and see what plant that may have come from and identify it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She loves cheese she took in her mouth and spit it out she wouldn't eat it which is not like her my stepson said he saw her drinking prior to her vomiting otherwise she hasn't really eaten or drinkshe seems kind of sad but then again she acts normal last night my girlfriend said she had and urgency to go potty like three times we kind of thought she might've had a urinary tract issue but then this happened
If you lift up her upper lip, what color are her gums?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can check when I get home I'm about two hours away
Okay, thank you!
At this point, you have a couple of options. Firstly, when you get home, try and identify the plant the material came from, and I can give you a better idea of toxicity. It looks like the stems of cut flowers, if you had those in the house. At any point, if she starts to decline, either through repeated bouts of vomiting, if she becomes weak, if her gums appear pale/white instead of bubblegum pink, then she needs to go straight into an emergency vet for treatment.
The pink/red material looks like it could be blood, but that's hard to decipher from a photo. She very well could have eaten something fleshy like a small critter (the glob in the upper part of the photo looks red and fleshy) outside or from the trash or ingested something red in color that is causing the color change to the bile as well.
An emergency clinic would be the first option. They would be able to get her in tonight and get her started on treatment. This is going to be more expensive than a regular vet visit, though.
The second option would be monitoring her at home if she's stable. When there's irritation to the stomach and prescription stomach medication is not available, a lot of vets will use plain Pepcid AC (famotidine) at a dose of 0.25-0.5 mg per pound (5 milligrams per 10 pounds of bodyweight) as a stomach protectant, as this helps reduce the "acidity" of the stomach.
You can pull away her food and water for a couple of hours to give the feeling of tummy upset to pass, then give her little bits of water for an hour. If she handles the water okay, you can try a bit of soft food to see if she will eat then.
Assuming she remains the same or bounces back, you can either wait until tomorrow to take her in, or if she is perfectly normal and back to eating, she may have just eaten something that disagrees with her, and vomited it back up.
One instance of vomiting is not something we would necessarily need to get her straight into the clinic for, but if the plant caused irritation to the stomach or ulceration, she may need to go on prescription stomach protectants to heal the area of injury. You can tell an emergency situation by how she continues to behave, and if she is declining at home or continuing to vomit up red material or blood, you'll want to get her in tonight to be seen for certain.