Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

My dog will not let me out of her sight when I am home, she

Customer Question

My dog will not let me out of her sight when I am home, she is home all day by herself what can I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or repy, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.
What does the dog do when you leave her in another room?
Is she interfering with your movements?
Does she do anything when you leave her home all day?
I may have more questions once I get your responses back.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she come to what ever room I am in but will leave once she see I am close, she does not interfere with my movement and I have No clue what she does she is not destructive
JaCustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. It sounds like your dog is acting perfectly normal. Dogs are social animals and they bond to their human and want to spend as much time with you as they can. So they do tend to follow you from room to room. I've had as many as 5 very large dogs and 2 small dogs in the house at one time and going to the restroom can be a little difficult with 7 dogs trailing along behind you.
Sometimes dog's will stay with you especially if it is a room with an exit since they all seem to want to know if you are going to go out and if you will take them I know if I pick up a leash even to put it away, everyone is on alert. Sometimes they go back to where they were once they are sure you are are not eating or going to give them something. they just want to know what you are doing.
If you do a quick search on the internet you will see stories of dogs who follow their owners to hospitals and even a few that go to their owners graves after the owner has passed. The dog / human bond is extremely strong. So her following you and checking on you is a testament to how much of a bond she has with you.
I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.