Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has pea sized lumps on the right bottom of her

Customer Question

hi my dog has pea sized lumps on the right bottom of her belly under the skin near her right teat, she is not pregnant. she has previously had pups 2 years ago this month. they are hard but my dog didnt seem uncomfortable when touching them. there is around 2 seperate lumps then it would seem as a small cluster. thank you

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How old is she?
Was she ever spayed?

How long have the lumps been present?
Are they hard as if they were made of bone or plastic?

Do they feel just under the skin?
Are they mobile or adhered to the tissues beneath the skin?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so and post them online, I am happy to have a look (since it will let me see what you are seeing). To post them, you can either use the wee paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

hi im sorry i cant take a photo my phone is broke also you cant actually see them, i only came across them stroking her. you have to press inside at least a centremetere to feel them, probally due to the fact she had pups 2 years ago and has drooped a little, bless her. :( lilly is 5 years old, 6 in august, i have only just noticed them today after her bath, they feel hard like hard rubber balls the same size as peas but there does seem to be a cluster as one doesnt feel like its a whole but is bigger by x3-5 than the rest. no she isnt spayed. and yes they are under the skin but not movable, they dont seem to cause her any discomfort when touching which is why i am concerned. i had a dog as a small child and she had big lumps i thought they were babies but she had lukimia (sorry about spelling) they are only small though, she seems fine in her self but is always pretty quite.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

Now I have to say that I do share your concern here. For a middle aged unspayed dog that has had a litter quite a while ago, there is a concern that these pea sized hard lumps are the start of a mammary tumor. In dogs, we do see quite a range of tumors (some benign but others cancerous --about a 50:50 split for that) affecting this tissue. And I have to note that we can see some that are oddly hard on palpation (some that are bone based or mixed with connective tissue).

Therefore, with this in mind, I do think it would be best to have your vet check these as soon as possible. If she is due a booster soon, consider moving that appointment up. Her vet can check these lumps and make sure there are no others or involvement of her lymph nodes. If they rule out these being scar tissue (though that should be this hard and we'd have expected those kinds of changes closer to her having weaned the pups), then surgery may be the best course of action at this stage to get these off and get them analyzed to know what is present and whether it is a mass that we have to be worried about for her.

Overall, these little lumps are worrisome and it would be ideal to have them checked while they are small. That way you can determine what they are, whether they are cancerous or benign, and get them removed before they can spread or grow any larger and start to cause her discomfort.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )