Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

There is a golf ball size lump on the right side of my weimeraners

Customer Question

there is a golf ball size lump on the right side of my weimeraners neck. It showed up over night. She's not showing many signs of discomfort yet and it is movable
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
This could be swollen lymph gland, abscessed tooth or possibly an salivary gland problem depending on where on the neck it is. Usually with a salivary gland problem you will also see excessive drooling.
Swollen lymph nodes can be due to many causes including infections, autoimmune diseases, fungal and bacterial infections and lymphoma (cancer). You can read about the lymphatic system in the dog here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/structure-and-function-of-the-lymphatic-system-in-dogs/page2.aspx
An abscessed tooth can sometimes cause lumps or swelling of the muzzle or jaw and upper neck. You will want to check your dog’s mouth and look for any broken or discolored teeth. If you find any, buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours for pain until your dog can be seen by your Vet. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen.
Check just under your dog’s jawbone for a swelling and under your dog’s tongue for a swelling. This is where some of your dog’s salivary glands are located. If you find a swelling here, it’s possible your dog has an accumulation of fluid near the salivary gland called a sialocele which is causing your dog to salivate more. This condition does require your dog to be seen as soon as possible. You can read about it here:
http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/sialocele.htm
If your dog has been playing with other animals or had a puncture wound in the area, that might cause an abscess to form. This happens when bacteria enteres a wound and the skin heals but the bacteria continues to multiply under the skin. You can read about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/abscess-in-dogs
I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.