Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 6 year old pug has weak rear legs and is now limping

Customer Question

Hi ,My 6 year old pug has weak rear legs and is now limping .his legs seem to be getting thinner and weaker ,but no pain .also he likes to sit in the sun in this delhi heat
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Based on his signs, the muscle atrophy that you have noted in both his back legs, and his lack of obvious pain; we would actually be most suspicious of possible onset of arthritic changes for your lad. Focal nerve issues, bone based disease, and tendon damage would all be less likely. Though, we do have to appreciate that often arthritis will be without symptoms (save for issues when starting from rest) but can lead to increased instances of muscle strains and sprains. And that may be why we are seeing limping now.
Now had his signs been severe or if this limping is bothering him quite a bit, then we may have needed to consider seeing his vet for a dog safe anti-inflammatory like Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, or Previcox. That said, if he isn't obvious sore, then you can try resting him and using some milder OTC supportive care measures.
Specifically, we often find glucosamine/chondroitin helpful for dogs in these situations. This is a nutrient supplement that is available at your vets, pet shops, and health food stores (as capsules, liquids, and even treats). There are a range of products on the markets and examples of ones we typically use for dogs include Cosequin, Seraquin, and Flexivet. It works by aiding joint suppleness by helping cartilage replenish itself and blocking enzyme destruction of cartilage in the joint. Often we can find this helpful in dogs with mild signs and would be worth considering here. Normally we give dogs 300mg glucosamine + 50mg chondroitin a day per 10 pounds of body weight.
Further to this, the natural anti-inflammatory properties of Omega 3 + 6 (EPA + DHA) fish oils can be helpful in soothing sore joints. Again this can be purchased over the counter at vets, pet stores, and health food stores. If you did want to try this for him, we tend to give a dose equal to 20mg per pound of their body weight. So, this would be another supportive measure you could consider for your lad.
Overall, to see progressive weakness, muscle atrophy, but no pain, loss of nerve function, or dragging of the legs; then we'd be most concerned that your wee one has some arthritis here. Therefore, you can try the above while monitoring him. If he doesn't settle or is limping quite a bit, then we'd want to have a check up with his vet so that they can confirm this and start him on dog safe anti-inflammatories to get him moving better for us.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet