Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog have gone totally blind with one eye and the

Customer Question

My dog have gone totally blind with one eye and the other one is also not in a good condition.
It happened since he was treated with a strong dosage of Antibiotic. My vet suggested me to use an eye drop named "TImolol Malet". I did and result was also good for sometime, but now he can't see anything also one of his eye have come-up with what vets over here call "Cherry-Eye".
Please help me and my dog with this problem.
Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. If timolol were prescribed, his vet has diagnosed glaucoma - increased intraocular pressure. It's primary used as prophylaxis to prevent glaucoma in the normal eye of animals with unilateral glaucoma. It's important to recognize, however, that medical therapy for glaucoma is rarely sufficient long-term and that surgical intervention is most often necessary. You'll need to consult a specialist veterinary ophthalmologist (please see here: www.acvo.org) for that kind of work.
Cherry-eye - a protrusion of the gland of the 3rd eyelid - is a very different disorder. It may result from weakness of connective tissue attaching the base of the gland to the periorbital structures. It, too, however, is a surgical problem. We tack the protruding gland back into the eye; it shouldn't be removed because it contributes to tear production.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Hi Aakash,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?