Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has lost nearly 10lbs since Saturday,I seen a lizar head by my front door,not sure

Customer Question

My dog has lost nearly 10lbs since Saturday,I seen a lizar head by my front door,not sure if the dog ate it or not, I believe he did eat it, he's not in good spirits at all,need help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
Aloha! You're speaking with Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Except for the gila monster, lizards in the United States aren't considered toxic to dogs even when ingested. It's reasonable to assume, however, that gastrointestinal distress - vomiting, diarrhea, or inappetence - could arise after ingesting such an unusual food.
A profound weight loss of 10 lbs in a small dog in such a short period of time, however, isn't consistent with ingesting a lizard but, instead, a life threatening disorder that will need to be clarified by Boss's vet. Such weight loss is an important symptom but it isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder.
I would expect Boss's vet to perform a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests +/- imaging in the form of X-rays or ultrasound in an attempt to get to the bottom of Boss's weight loss and malaise. I regret that I can't be more specific from here; I too, would need to examine and test Boss.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Boss. How is everything going?