Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I think my 50 lb. lab ate a 20 mg baclofen. Can it hurt or

Customer Question

I think my 50 lb. lab ate a 20 mg baclofen. Can it hurt or kill her? Thanks!
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now the good news is that this is a drug that we do use on rare occasion in dogs, therefore this is not an outright poisoning. Furthermore, the dose she may have given herself is within the normal dose range for her size. Therefore, we could potentially see some mild adverse signs but wouldn't expect any severe harm. In regards ***** ***** we could see, the ones we see most commonly are GI upset (ie vomiting, drooling, appetite loss, diarrhea), wobbliness, agitation, confusion and vocalising. Had she had a larger dose, then tremors, collapse, changes to her breathing, blood pressure, and heart rate would also be concerns.
So, since we'd only expect mild adverse signs if any at all, I would note that we do have a few options. If she has just had this, you can consider inducing vomiting (How To@ http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/emergency-trauma-urgent-care/how-to-induce-vomiting-emesis-in-dogs) or administering activated charcoal. Otherwise, you can choose to monitor and provide supportive care.
Since we can see a bit of GI upset with this type of ingestion, you can try and keep her stomach settled. To do so, consider offering a light diet option for a few days. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). This can be fed as small, frequent meals and should just keep any risk of stomach upset at a minimum.
Further to this, we can also cover her with an antacid to keep her stomach as settled as possible. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are:
*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/famotidine-pepcid/page1.aspx#.VGJLgsn9XPg)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/ranitidine-hcl-zantac/page1.aspx)
These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption) and of course you want to double check with your vet if your wee one has a pre-existing condition or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.
Overall, this is not an overdose for her size and therefore we'd only expect mild signs if any at all. Therefore, you can choose to err on the side of caution or just monitor and offer supportive care to settle her stomach if needed.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )