Dr. Whitehead
Dr. Whitehead, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, internship trained, with 5 years of experience in high quality practice treating dogs, cats, and some exotics.
13146597

My shapoo has a bad back. he reinjured his back this AM.

Customer Question

my shapoo has a bad back. he reinjured his back this AM. He's restless, panting and his body feels warm. He has vomited bial 2x's. I have Previcox 57mg I can give him once a day when this happens. How can I calm him down?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Whitehead replied 1 year ago.
Hello there. I am sorry to hear about your little guy. I am happy to help you this evening. The previcoxx can definitely help with the pain and if you haven't given him that medication go ahead and give it. Make sure to give it with food though as it can upset his tummy more. You can give him pepcid AC 10 mg 1/2 tablet by mouth twice daily to help with the bile that he vomited and to prevent more upset with the medication. You can also give tylenol at a dose of 5 mg per pound by mouth every 8 to 12 hours for pain along with the previcoxx. Keep him as quiet as possible. It may take a few hours for the medications to kick in. If he won't settle down then you can try benadryl at 1 mg per pound by mouth every 8 hours just to quiet and calm him down. If he is not better or improving in 24 hours he should be checked out by your vet to make sure he doesn't need stronger medications.
I hope this helps and I hope this makes sense. Please do not hesitate to ask if you have any further questions or concerns. I would be happy to help. Please do not forget to rate my response so I receive credit for my time.