Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I'm out of town.. Sitter says Shiner yelps whenever he moves.

Customer Question

I'm out of town.. Sitter says Shiner yelps whenever he moves. Getting up walking. He's very clingy. Nose is dry.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or repy, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply. I hope you can be patient.
Did shiner fall or slip or move suddenly?
Was his leash jerked or did the leash get caught on anything?
Is he eating and drinking normally?
Is there any specific movement that seems to set it off?
Is his rectal area swollen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has not been on leash.
Checking with sitter. I don't believe he has fallen. I do have a split level house with time on the landing.
Sitter said he was whining this morning but they thought he just wanted to go out. Their beds are on the lower level. The are not kennelled at night. But top of stairs is blocked off.
Since you are behaviorist, they say my husky is just laying in his bed and is reluctant to go near him.
No response from sitter about recital area. I left town a week ago Saturday, on Sunday, they reported a messy pooping incident.
That's all the info I have at the moment. Am in An airport - about to board in the next half hour..
If flight has wifi I'll be able to check email...
Jacustomer,
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. If the dog had diarrhea or abnormal bowel movements while you were gone, the anal glands may have become overfull leading to discomfort in the rectal region.
If your dog's anal area has a bad odor and is swollen, it can be symptoms of an anal gland problem. You will wantthe sitter to check to see if your dog's anus is swollen. This may cause a dog to continue to lick the area and definitely have discomfort and not want to move in any way that stretches the skin in the rear. The anal glands are 2 sacs on either side of the anus at about the 4' o'clock and 8 o'clock positions.
This problem can usually be resolved by emptying out the glands. To empty them or express them, you will want to cover the area with a tissue and press your finger on the dog's anal glands with an upward motion. A foul smelling liquid should come out. If nothing comes out and your dog appears to be in pain, you should take him to the Vet. Your vet can do this easily, as he is experienced at it. Excellent site on anal glands
http://www.dr-dan.com/analsac.htm
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_anal_sacs.html
Of course, your sitter will need to attempt this if they feel comfortable around the dog. Another option is a slip or fall that injured a disc in the back or neck area. These can be pretty painful and a dog will usually avoid movement, stairs and jumping. I'm not sure how long you are gone for but if you are gone for just a couple of days and your dog is still eating and drinking relatively normal, then you might have the sitter crate the dog to keep him inactive and allow any injury to heal. Read about disc injuries here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx
Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5 mg per pound every 12 hours.This helps with inflammation and pain relief. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to have the sitter give him aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx
If aspirin is used, your vet may not be able to prescribe other drugs until it clears from your dog's system. I'd probably hold off on the aspirin if you are going to get your dog in to the vet pretty quickly.
This is a difficult question to answer seeing as you are not with your dog and you don't have all the answers either, but I hope this has been helpful to you. If you get more information or other symptoms or need clarification, let me know and I'll reply as soon as I can.
By the way, the other dog probably knows that the one dog is injured. Injured dogs and ones in pain will attack other dogs, so your other dog is stearing clear to avoid altercations.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Jane, I didn't get home till midnight last night. Sitters said they heard a sound early in the morning which could have been falling on the stairs. Also watching him, he seemed to waddle more and I noticed he kind of kept his head low. He wouldn't raise his head up really. So I suspect he fell or they knocked each other down. He's was moving better this morning before I went to work. I'll try to look at the links you sent after work. I've put a rubber mat down on the landing in hopes of reducing any more such spills.
JaCustomer,
That is a good idea. If he is moving better then using the aspirin for a day or two would be beneficial since it looks like he may not need stronger medication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, thanks. he seems practically back to normal now. jumps up on me, wrestles with the other dog. which apparently scares me more than it does him. So is it possible this was like a stinger? pinched nerve caused muscle the kink up. relaxed and its okay now... perhaps no long term damage?
JaCustomer,
If he is almost back to normal then probably no long term problem. I'd still feel better if you kept him inactive a few days.
Hi Dave,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Shiner. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So sorry o have taken so long to get back to you. The day after our last conversation, I found poop with blood in it but I didn't know which dog it was. Then Shiner whimpered the next at the bottom of the steps at the back door and was holding up his right front paw. I felt of it and squeezed it gently and he didn't flinch or make noise. I felt around his neck and shoulder. Kind of massaged it a bit. He put his foot down so I opened the door and let him out. He walked out like nothing happened. SMH. No limp. I think there was one other similar incident to a smaller degree.Since that time, he's seemed pretty much normal. Hiding from all the thunderstorms we've had in the Houston area. Playing with Jack, getting rowdy when I come home, etc.
thank you for all you're help. There is one behavioral thing I don't understand, but is probably not related, unless he has an underlying level of pain for close to a month that causes him to bark at other house members when they come near a room I'm in with him.
JaCustomer,
This is usually a case of a dog feeling that he has to protect you from others. Sometimes it happens when you seem worried about another person and he picks up on that and may growl or bark. Then the next time you anticipate it and act worried about whether he is going to do it or not. He doesn't know that, he thinks you are worried about the new person (or old) and thus protects your by warning them with a bark. It is a cycle so you have to try hard not to react to the barking. No reassuring him as that is positive reinforcement. You might attach a leash and give a short tug and firm NO as a reprimand. That usually helps after a short while. When you notice him not bark at someone, reward him with a hot dog treat. Before long he will welcome others as he gets a treat.