Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

Doctors recomend putting down my 16 year old Bichoon. He has kidney failure. All his numb

Customer Question

doctors recomend putting down my 16 year old Bichoon. He has kidney failure. All his numbers are extremely high.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to ensure I give you the best advice possible...
How long have they been treating Paris?
How is Paris acting otherwise?
Are you wondering about euthanizing him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Paris has been treated for 4 days. He has been healthy until now. He is 16
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
Unfortunately, kidney disease/failure is one of the most common and most fatal illnesses in companion animals. Even when caught early in a younger dog, the recovery rate is low.
Although the only person who can really make the decision to euthanize your pet is you, I think the biggest thing you can factor in is quality of life. If your pup is in pain that you cannot control or alleviate, if your pup no longer does any of the things he likes to do, then that is the point in time where you must consider that not forcing the animal to linger on is a kinder choice.
I think that it comes down to is trying to put the dog's comfort above your own pain of loss. 16 is a very good age for a dog to reach so you have done very well by him getting him there.
At some point you may find the website http://www.petloss.com/ and the rainbow bridge story some comfort. Hardest thing in the world about pets is that no matter how long they live its really never long enough, but making this decision for your beloved pet is the ultimate act of kindness...to end their suffering in spite of the pain and hurt it will cause you to lose him.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ian wondering about euthanizing
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
I addressed the euthanasia in my previous reply....Do you have other questions?