Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a 3 lbs chi 10 yrs old having a seizure we gave her

Customer Question

I have a 3 lbs chi 10 yrs old having a seizure we gave her methocarbol and used a pet glucose meter by advocate reading 239 prior to reading we put Karo surup on tounge and gums .
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Last time at vet may 2 with same issue they don't know what is causing her seizure but her blood work on arrival was 81 they gave her a glucose drip over 10 period and we picked her up her blood glucose read 122 so I am concerned that our pet meter says 239.... Is this a result of meds and sugar we gave her? Or do pet meters vary greatly with vet blood work!!! I dont have 500.00 to take her back right now!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I send a video of her to you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Our phone(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have given 125 mg of methocarbol in the last hour and a half. Mimi seems to be calming some and sleepy but still has tremors in front legs
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear what is happening to Mimi. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
It is possible that your glucometer is not giving the same reading as the one at your vet office. I have tested two different glucometers with the exact same blood sample, and had the readings be 100 points apart. Also, if your reading was done after giving her Karo, then that could have raised her blood sugar.
If her blood sugar was 81 when she arrived at your veterinarian, that is normal. Usually dogs have seizures if the blood sugar is under 40.
Methocarbamol is helpful with tremors, but is not really anti seizure medication. It is a muscle relaxant.
You can send a video here, or post one online and send me the link.
The reasons for older dogs to have seizures, if it is not low blood sugar, are liver diseases, getting into something toxic, and (unfortunately) brain tumors and other neurologic diseases.
If blood tests are normal, and her blood sugar stays above 80, you might consider starting her on an anti seizure medication such as phenobarbital, Keppra, or bromide.
Let me know how she is doing and what else I can answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I send you the video
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You can either post it online, and send me the link here, or you can post it here. You should see a paper clip icon that will help you post it here.