Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Theeresa I have a situation with my mini shnauzer. She

Customer Question

Hello Theeresa I have a situation with my mini shnauzer. She is maybe 7 yrs old but very active and the most rough when playing. Today all was fine, and I got home. She hesitated to get on my bed as it is complicated because the frame sticks out and sosome times her or my other dogs don't go up. So I thought nothing of it. My mom get's home and all she does is go upstairs with her as usual and spend her time in her bed. Comes night and my mom tried to put her down so she doesn't have to jump as it is quite a high bed, and she sqeals in pain from being touched by what I would say is the rail bone? just before her tail. On her sides, and I touched her legs and her left leg is slightly more sore than her right. It's been raining a lot and changing temperatires lately so I don't know if that would affect her. I plan on taking her to the vet tomorrow to get an x ray and get her checked, but in the mean time I wanted to know your opinion and experience in these cases.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
The most common cause for this would be a disc problem. Your dog may have injured her back or have a problem with an invertebral disc. An intervertebral disc that has slipped or ruptured up into the spinal canal causes inflammation of the spinal cord, which in severe cases causes paralyses of the rear legs. Less severe injuries or disease can just cause some pain and avoidance of jumping. You can read about this here:
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-thoracolumbar-area-in-dogs/page1.aspx
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/intervertebral-disc-disease-cervical-area/page1.aspx
Buffered aspirin can be given to a dog with a dosage of up to 5-10 mg per pound every 12 hours. Keep in mind that a dog's body does not metabolize aspirin in the same way as a human and thus should not be given more than a day or two without contacting your Vet. The aspirin may need to clear your dog’s system before other medications can be given, so keep that in mind if you decide to give aspirin and be sure and tell your vet when your dog is seen. Read side effects and precautions here.
http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/acetylsalicylic-acid-aspirin/page1.aspx
It can take 7 days or more before other medication can be used so it you plan on seeing a vet relatively soon, then hold off on the aspirin. If you decide to try the aspirin, it would be most effective if you also contained her for 5-7 days and limited her movement to give the disc time to heal. That means crate rest and taking her out to eliminate on a leash only.
I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.