Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

Never ending vet bills & shots. Straight line @ 2-3 ". She

Customer Question

Never ending vet bills & shots. Straight line @ 2-3 ". She will bite till she is raw. FinLly after 1,000 of dollars I started Benadryl. I given consistantly it goes away. She does not get whoozy. Is this good?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
It sounds like you are stuck in a vicious allergy cycle. I say this because it sounds like the symptoms are being treated but nothing is being done to find the underlying cause.
In many cases like this, allergy testing is done to find the allergen. Once found it can be avoided or a shot developed to lessen the reaction to the allergen. At your dog's age if indeed she is older than 12, then it may not be cost effective to do allergy testing.
In some cases, the allergen is a food item such as beef, wheat, etc. Switching to a limited ingredient food such as venison and potato and do a food trial. However, even with a trial it can take 6 weeks or longer to see improvement.
Finding and eliminating the allergen only helps stop the allergic reaction. It does nothing for the skin infections that occur as a result of the scratching. Even worse, skin infections like yeast and staph dermatitis also itch making it difficult to know if it is the allergy or skin dermatitis causing the scratching.
So keeping the skin clear through benadryl and baths will help while you do a food trial. Since benadryl helps, you will eventually have to take her off the benadryl to see if the itching starts back up.
Benadryl can be used long term with no ill effects if you stick to the proper dosage of 1-2 mg per pound. We like to keep them at the lowest dose that is effective.
I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.