How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jane Lefler Your Own Question
Jane Lefler
Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 18958
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Jane Lefler is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My chihuahua ate a brownie 6 hours ago. She has vomited twice

Customer Question

My chihuahua ate a brownie 6 hours ago. She has vomited twice and is very bloated. Her abdomen is hard and distended. Her heart seems to be beating faster than normal. What should I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.
I'm so sorry to hear that your dog is not doing so well. Let me give you some information on chocolate toxicity and then let you know what I think is likely going on.
Different kinds of chocolates have different toxicity amounts. Chocolate contains theobromine, which is what causes the toxic response. Items such as brownies will have less actual chocolate in them, so you will have to make an estimate of the amount of chocolate that may have been in the brownie your dog may have ingested .
Signs of theobromine toxic poisoning should appear within 1 to 4 hours of ingesting the chocolate. These include vomiting, increased thirst, diarrhea, weakness, difficulty keeping balance, hyperexcitability, muscle spasm, seizures, coma and potentially death from an abnormal heart rhythm.
The following websites will give you’re the approximate amounts of chocolate that you will need to worry about based on the size of your dog and the type of chocolate. Consult this page to determine if a toxic amount has been ingested.
http://www.vspn.org/Library/misc/VSPN_M01325.htm
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_chocolatetoxicosis.htm
There is also an interactive chart available as well here:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2007/10/pets/chocolate-chart-interactive
If your dog has ingested enough to be toxic according to the chart, you need to have your dog taken to the vet for supportive care. Your vet can monitor your dog’s vital signs until the danger has passed.
Now the amount of chocolate consumed may not have been toxic, but the high fat content in chocolate can also trigger pancreatitis in some dogs. Symptoms of pancreatitis includes vomiting, diarrhea, and upper abdominal pain which should cause her to treemble from pain. I do feel that your dog needs to see your vet this morning. You can read about pancreatitis here:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1580&aid=335
http://www.petplace.com/dogs/acute-pancreatitis-in-dogs/page1.aspx
I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jane Lefler