Jane Lefler, Breeder,Behaviorist, formerVet Asst
Experience:  Former vol Vet Assistant.Breeder 18+ years Dog trainer / behaviorist
2361900

I dropped a pill and my dog ate it it was 40 mg pant0prazole

Customer Question

I dropped a pill and my dog ate it it was 40 mg pant0prazole for acid reflux
Category: Dog
Expert:  Jane Lefler replied 1 year ago.
Hi Sir or Madam,
The pantoprazole shouldn't be much of an issue at all. If you want, you can induce vomiting and retrieve the pill that way if it has been less than an hour or so. If you can retrieve the pill then you probably won't even need to monitor your dog at all. A small piece of bread before inducing vomiting can help. You can read about inducing vomiting here:
http://www.bichonfriseusa.com/ref/inducevom.htm
While this drug isn't used often for dogs, other similar drugs like tagment are. You will still want to monitor her to be on the safe side for any reactions such as diarrhea, trouble breathing, continued vomiting. In studies involving mice, very large doses such as 700mg/kg were required to trigger toxic results. The symptoms of acute toxicity were hypoactivity, hunched posture, incoordination, and tremors.
I hope you found my reply helpful. If you need further clarification or more information, please reply and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoey. How is everything going?