Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

Again Rebecca. have you any experience with miniature

Customer Question

hello again Rebecca. have you any experience with miniature chihuahuas? My mini dam (Muffin) recently went on heat (she is 15 months old) and my mini sire (Lord Cadberry Jollybottom I) did in fact mate with her. (I was away in another state when this happened, so it was unintended. what kind of issues could arise from when she give birth.
As i explained in my previous question, I am a new breeder, so I need as much advice as possible.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello again!
What are your concerns; that she is too young, or too small for giving birth? Were you planning on eventually breeding her, but to another sire?
How long ago was the breeding?
I would write down the date of the breeding. 7 to 8 weeks after that date, I would have an Xray taken to see if she is pregnant, and how many puppies there are.
When she goes into labor, she should have the first puppy within 30 to 40 minutes of starting to push. If she is pushing for 45 minutes or longer, she may need help. Usually we first try an injection to try to strengthen the contractions, but if that does not work, sometimes we have to do a C section.
The smaller the dog, the greater the risk of needing a C section, so you want to know you have a veterinarian that will be around if needed. It is good she is pregnant to another mini. If the sire were a bigger dog, that would also raise the chances of the puppies being bigger, and her needing a C section.
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks again for your answer.

- Yes, I was concerned she was too young. I wanted her to go through her first heat without breeding, however, due to my absence, this didn't go quite to plan.

- Yes; I planned on breeding her to Cadberry, and the breeding took place aprox 3.5 weeks ago. I have a vet appointment tomorrow to get her checked out, xray etc.

Muffin is about 1.8 kg. Cadberry is 1.3 kg. Muffin is a little rounder than she should be, so I have been feeding her some weight control food. she is sneaky though, and manages to sneak some of the other pups food.

- Yes. I had concerns that she also may be a little bit small for breeding and may require a C section. If that is the case, would she be require further C section for future litters? will having a C section increase the risk of complications for future births?

- I am also concerned that the breeders who sold me the dogs may not have been completely honest and truthful with their advice on breeding, as they had a financial motivation in telling me ( a very new breeder) anything so as to sell me the dogs.

- Also, as I just found out tonight, Deezel; my standard sire, has been placed on the limited register. He is still registered as a Pedigree, but my understanding is that his pups, regardless of the Dams ped status, will not be pedigree pups.is there any way to change this and get him off the limited register?

Bunny

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Having a C section once does not mean she will need one the next time, and does not mean she will have problems with future births.
I am not sure what the limited register is. If he has a pedigree, and is bred to a female with a pedigree, I don't understand why the pups can't be pedigreed. What is the reason for his being "limited"; is there a problem with his pedigree?
Are these AKC pedigrees or another registry?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
OK, I found this on the AKC website:
Limited Registration means that the dog is registered but litters produced by that dog are ineligible for registration. In addition, a limited dog cannot compete in conformation shows. It is eligible, however, to be entered in any other licensed or member event, including Obedience, Tracking, Field Trials, Hunting Tests, Herding, Lure Coursing, Agility, Rally, and Earthdog.
The breeder assigns limited registration to a dog by marking (blackening) out the limited registration box on the application. The limited box should not be marked if the dog is being fully registered. When registering a dog on-line, you will be prompted to enter the three numbers in the limited box to receive full registration. Failure to do so will result in a limited registration.
So your breeder marked that box, for whatever reason. You will have to ask her why she did that. It appears it can't be changed, and his puppies can't be registered as purebred puppies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hey.

These dogs are not AKC. I am located in Australia and they are registered with 'DogsQLD or the CCC(Q) Canine contrrol council Queensland.

Allegedly, the Dam who gave birth to Deezel was 2 weeks off being 1 year old. (the breeder was taking care of her father just before he passed away. )

Perhaps you could refer a breeder to me to discuss further breeding question I might have, whilst I continue to consult you regarding their health?

Sorry to keep bothering you Rebecca. I really appreciate your time

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
The dam being younger than a year should not be a reason for exclusion from being fully registered. There is some reason the breeder deliberately chose limited registry, not full registry. Only your breeder can answer this question of why the limited registry was chosen.
I can opt out, and see if any dog breeders familiar with breeding registry in Australia are on this service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

opt out?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Yes, opting out opens your question to other experts on the service, hopefully a breeder. That is the only way I can refer you to a breeder on this service.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I see. no problem. that is fine sweetheart. i can post another question on the site. thank you so much for your help.

I will continue to liaise with you in the future regarding my dogs health.

love your work. thank you!!

B

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome. I hope you find someone to help with the registry question.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

hello, Rebecca asked me to help you. If any litter is regeistered as limited this means that any pups the dog has (Bitch or Sire) cannot be regestered. This is what Rebecca was trying to tell you.

The only one who might be able to lift the limited registration is the breeder who registered them Limited in the first place. This can be done in the AKC but I am not sure you can do it with your organization, it does not seem so , but it does not hurt to ask the breeder.

The reason litters are registered limited is usually due to the fact that you are not getting breeding quality, only pet quality, or that the breeder does not want the puppy/dog being bred without all certified health checks. Also it is possible that the breeders themselves did not have the hips, eyes or heart certified of the parents. Some breeders are bit unscrupulous and do not have certifications on their dogs , but by selling them as "limited" it means the dog/pup you purchase is still registered with the organization. In this case it would be the CCC. So while your dog is registered with them, you will not be able to register your litter, even if the bitch is full registration. Limited registration means no breeding of the dog and no showing.

The below should have been made clear by the seller. CCC rule:

LIMITED REGISTER -Please Note: If you are placing a puppy on the Limited Register, this litter application must be accompanied by a letter from the puppy buyer confirming they understand the dog cannot be shown or bred from:Rule 3-Dogs which are Registered in the Limited Register are eligible to participate in Obedience Trials, Agility Trials, Field Trials, Endurance Tests, Earth Dog Tests or Tracking Trials, including Sweepstakes associated with such events, but are not eligible to enter a Conformation Show, or be used in Breeding.