Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our 12 year old Lab keep crying and is having problems walking.

Customer Question

Our 12 year old Lab keep crying and is having problems walking. We have a vet appointment tomorrow night but was wondering if we can give her a Valium to calm her a bit today. It is a human dose
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thanks for requesting me, Just to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }Regards,Dr Scott
Hello again and thanks for waiting.I have worked out an answer for you below ... 1. Valium { Diazepam } is commonly prescribed for dogs to calm them down in various situations. Provided your dog is otherwise healthy and is not on any other medications which may conflict with Valium then usually you would be taking very little risk in using this drug in the dog. Used properly this drug has a very high margin of safety in the dog.2. A typical dose rate for Valium in the dog is 0.25 mg { Range 0.25 to 1 mg per pound } per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally up to every six hours. Where I give clients advice about drugs and dose rates I like to provide a link so they can confirm what I have said and read more about how this drug is used in dogs. : LINK I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.Regards, ***** be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I will give it a try. I appreciate your help.
No problem, very glad to have advised you ... I should be available online for the next couple of hours so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes or you would like to talk things over with me further. Kindest regards, Scott
Hello again,
I am just checking back in to see how Cede is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the valium.
How are things going for her?
Regards,
Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.