Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

My dog ate the stuffing of a blanket and is not eating

Customer Question

hello my dog ate the stuffing of a blanket and is not eating for about 36 hours, she did throw up and found the stuffing what do you think i should do?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl Daisy ingested blanket stuffing and has been vomiting and refusing to eat and drink since.
I am concerned that even though she vomited some of the stuffing back up there must be at least a partial obstruction. I too am very concerned about her being dehydrated due to her vomiting and refusing to eat. Dehydration in and of itself is dangerous but with a partial or full gastrointestinal obstruction it makes things worse as her electrolytes will be unbalanced, the gastrointestinal tract won't have normal lubrication, and tissues will be more likely to tear and breakdown.
I think Daisy needs an emergency veterinary visit, intravenous antibiotics and fluids, an abdominal ultrasound and likely surgery. The concern with letting this go any longer is breakdown of her intestine at the obstruction site and peritonitis.
Best of luck with your girl, please let me know if you have any further questions.