Lisa
Lisa, Certified Vet Tech
Experience:  AAS Vet Tech. Bully breed rehab & Behavior modification
10413311

I have a puppy who is only a few months old and i think she

Customer Question

I have a puppy who is only a few months old and i think she is constipated its goten to a point where she wont eat or drink and i cant afford a vet visit
Category: Dog
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Hello! My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to help you with your dog today. Just like an in person consult, I have a few questions of my own to help ensure I give you the best advice possible...
When was the last time she defecated?
Is she urinating normally?
When was the last time she ate?
Is her belly hard to the touch or soft?
Does she ever eat non-food items?
Has she done any vomiting?
Has she had any vaccines?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasnt pooped for at least 3 days and hasnt really ate for two her stomach behind her ribs is hard and has vomited almost everything shes ate vomited and has not eaten anything aside from dog food and i was told she did have her shots however i dont know for sure
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
How long have you had her?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Maybe three months
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell if there's an odd odor to the vomit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There hasnt been but she hasnt vomited since sunday she wont eat anything and has lost all weight she had she walks around like shes trying to poop...
Expert:  Lisa replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the additional information. I really appreciate it.
I actually have a couple different concerns....
....the fact that she's unable to defecate, was vomiting immediately after eating/drinking, and is no longer eating/drinking and is losing weight...
First...since we're not positive about vaccinations, I worry about the possibility of parvo. This is a deadly virus that unvaccinated, or not completely vaccinated dogs get. Without treatment, it is fatal. Unfortunately, even with treatment it's often fatal.
Secondly...since she's not eating/drinking, has a hard belly and is acting like she's painful and unable to defecate, vomiting immediately after eating/drinking I worry that this could actually be something like an intestinal obstruction. This happens when a dog eats something too big or bulky to pass through the digestive tract the normal way and everything grinds to a halt. This can also be fatal if left untreated.
Your puppy absolutely, positively needs to be seen by a vet as soon as possible.
I understand that you(like so many other people) are in a hard financial spot right now. There are some organizations that might be able to help. If you'll follow these links: http://www.speakingforspot.com/helppayingforveterinarycare.html , http://www.theamericandogmag.com/non-profit/resources-veterinary-bills-financial-assistance, you'll find dozens and dozens of organizations that may be able to help pay for you to take your dog to the vet. Also, there are some clinics who offer free exams and other treatments and require that you only pay for medications. If you'll follow this link: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer , you can see if there is one in your area.
I hope she gets the help she needs.