VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My female dog is being treated . She has week

Customer Question

My female dog is being treated for bromethalin. She has week old puppies. It has been almost 72 hours since I started having her treated. No signs of danger. She is being released today. Pups have been bottle feed for the past 3 days. ****should I continue bottle feeding are let them nurse the mom
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help you with your question about your dog.
There are not a lot of studies that have evaluated the effects of rodenticides in the milk of nursing mothers. However, a large number of toxic substances are passed into the milk.
Bromethalin also undergoes a process called enterohepatic recirculation, which means that instead of being immediately excreted, it is constantly reabsorbed and recirculated through the liver and small intestine. Due to this process, small amounts of bromethalin can sustained in the body for several weeks.
In an older dog, the repeated doses of charcoal help prevent the absorption of a clinically significant dose, so that post-72 hours, Annie can safely go home without showing clinical signs. But there's really no way to evaluate how much she DID absorb and thus calculate how much will be passed through the placenta into the milk. The puppies would need a significantly smaller amount of bromethalin to start showing clinical signs.
Because of that uncertainty coupled with the fact that Bromethalin remains in the system for such a long period of time, it is safest to continue to bottle feed the puppies. While the level of bromethalin in the milk MAY be relatively small, it is better not to take the risk.
Hi Mike,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Annie. How is everything going?

VetTechErin