Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have a female French mastiff whose vagina is inflamed and

Customer Question

I have a female French mastiff whose vagina is inflamed and my husband took a tissue to inspect it and he noticed it was swollen and he expressed some pus from her vaginal area. We have to get to an event for our business and can't get her to a Vet. I have some Biaxin exl here could that help her until we get her to a vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Annie. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
Is Annie spayed? If not, was she recently in heat?
How long is your event; when could you take her to a veterinarian?
How much does she weigh, and what strength of clarithromycin do you have?
This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes she is spayed and.500mg on the biaxin. We won't get home until after 10:30pm and leave in an hour. We are in our own business and there isn't a fall back to do this job and they are one our biggest customers. She weights about 135 lbs. The vet isn't in on Wednesday so Thursday at the earliest. Of, course if she starts looking bad there is a 24 hour hospital about 1.5 hours from here. she does have a tendency to sit outside in the dirt watching the house if we go out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/pet-dog/938wh-female-french-mastiff-whose-vagina-inflamed.html#ixzz3ZwfI0tfD

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Good that she is spayed, that takes one big worry away ( an infection of the uterus).
Clarithromycin (Biaxin) is not use much in veterinary medicine; I can only find a dose for it for treating a rare condition called "canine leproid granuloma syndrome". There is no safe published dose for it in dogs, and I would not recommend using it. She could get sick from it (vomiting, diarrhea) while you were gone.
Is she eating? Is she acting sick?
If she were mine and I had to leave her, I would gently clean the area, and maybe flush the opening to her vagina with some salt water (1 teaspoon salt in a pint of water) rather than experiment with an antibiotic that is not used in dogs.
If she seems uncomfortable, you could give her some aspirin with some food. If she is not eating, don't try it. She could take 1 to 1/ 1/2 regular 325 mg aspirin, with food, once to twice daily. Do not give Advil or Aleve. You could give 500 mg of Tylenol.
Let me know what else I can help with or answer.