Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Mt 1 yr 4mo old newf has been dx with a cataract. He can see fine now and I can't af

Customer Question

Mt 1 yr 4mo old newf has been dx with a cataract. He can see fine now and I can't afford the $3300 for an operation so I am researching supplements to give him and saw billberry is recommended.You thoughts?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry to hear Rocky has cataracts. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.
Ocu-GLO is a supplement that may help slow the progression of cataracts:
http://ocuglo.thoughthouse.com/products/
There are reports that Succus cineraria, or SCM can help. It is mixed with artificial tears, and applied on the eyes. It does sting when used. It may be hard to find.
Giving anti oxidants is supposed to help slow cataract progression. I like an anti oxidant formula made for dogs called Cell Advance, available in some stores and online.
Bilberry is reported to help the part of the eye called the retina, but I can't find any evidence that it does anything for cataracts, which are in a different part of the eye called the lens.
Let me know what else I can research for you.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocky. How is everything going?