How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 14880
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Lisa, I have a question. Yesterday I went to some outdoor

Customer Question

Hi Lisa, I have a question. Yesterday I went to some outdoor sulfer hotsprings and my lab/border collier jumped in and swam. Is that typer of water harmful to dogs? It was a natural hotsprings that had a lot of moss in it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my apologies that you did not receive a prompt response, that is likely because your question was waiting for a response from your requested expert and she is not online.
My name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian, I'd be happy to help.
I understand that you are concerned about the effects of your pup swimming in outdoor hot sulfur springs.
In general these waters would not be harmful for your pup's coat or skin and in some cases may actually be helpful. We use sulfur containing shampoos to treat dogs with seborrhea, keratitis and secondary bacterial skin infections. For a normal dog this might be a bit drying however so if this is something you like to do a lot it may be advisable to take fresh water and rinse your pup off afterwards.
The concern would be if your pup ingested a fair amount of the water by drinking or licking after swimming. High sulfur content can be irritating to the gastrointestinal tract and cause mild nausea and loose stools. Again using a fresh water rinse after swimming and not letting her drink the water will avoid that problem.
The moss in the springs is not a concern. Blue green algae is a concern as that has a toxin in it and that toxin can lead to a severe toxic reaction and death, but that is algae not moss.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.