brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

My Westie has been to the Vet, (we're

Customer Question

.My Westie has been to the Vet, (we're $600.00 into that bill so far) and here is the issue, that my Vet can't figure out. Vomiting at beginning, not pooping much, not much appetite, no vomiting since antibiotics, but dry heaving, retching, obvious tummy distress, burping, sides heaving, standing or sitting stock still for a minute or two at a time. I've noticed as well, his upper, and lower front teeth loose, after playing tug of rope with my daughter's much larger puppy. it is possible he got some of the pup's rawhide. No swollen glands, around jaw, but favors eating with side teeth. I'm panicked, we've got an uninsured flooded basement, we've developed a small spring due to all the massive rain, and ground saturation, so financially we're in a real bind, plus I go for exploratory surgery Friday, and heaven know what that will cost with our now awful insurance. I can't afford the figuring out my Doc is doing. Help! Thanks for your time, Sandi
Category: Dog
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I can help you with your question today.
How long has Winston been having tummy troubles?
What kind of food does he eat?
Has he ever had a test called a "resting cortisol" or an "ACTH Stimulation test"?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
About 2 weeks, with the vomiting every day (he's always had a nervous tummy)although for about 4 days, not any vomiting, But discomfort is evident. . Bloodwork, and xrays show normal. Now he won't even eat chicken and rice. antibiotics don't appear to help. My little guys eat Kibbles 'n Bits, and Blur Buffalo dog treats. He seems to be straining to potty, burps, almost like acid reflux, and stands really still, which is new. The slimy vomit is back, about 2 times a day. I'm fairly certain he snuck a piece of rawhide from my daughters dog, as we don't let them have it, since reading up on the problems it can cause. Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, have no idea about ACTH test. pancreas also show normal levels
Expert:  brisadog replied 2 years ago.
OK, I do think that with the non-specific GI signs (daily vomiting) with no other obvious cause from the bloodwork and x-rays, we need to test specifically for Addison's. Westies are particularly prone to this disease (in fact, there is a picture of a Westie on the package of medication for Addison's!). This test is called the ACTH stimulation test.
If we determine that he has Addison's disease, he will need life long medication.
Although rawhide can cause GI upset, I would not expect it to last more than 48-72 hours.