Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog is being treated rat poison. He gets 6ml

Customer Question

my dog is being treated for eating rat poison. He gets 6ml of vitamin K1 twice a day. It happened on Saturday and we caught it in time and he was induced to vomit... after a couple of days on the treatment can I play fetch with him or should I wait?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Great question! I am sorry Murphy got rat poison, but glad to hear it was caught in time. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
After a couple of days, he should be able to have normal activity. How long will Murphy be on the Vitamin K?
As long as he gets the vitamin K, he should be able to clot normally and have normal activity. Hard not to let a 2 year old Golden play!
Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
for 3 weeks
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Some rat poisons, like ones containing Brodifaucoum, need 6 weeks, but I am sure your vet checked what was best for the one Murphy ate.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything else I can help with or answer? I will be going offline soon, to go to work.
Kindly consider rating my answer, when all your questions are answered. You will still be able to get back to me with updates and questions.
Let me know how Murphy is doing!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
guess what I just found out? My own vet called me to ask what the active ingredient is in the rat poison so I checked the box and couldn't find a chemical so I called the phone number on the box... and .... the rat poison does not contain any anticoagulant. I never needed the medicine... never needed to see the vet at all!
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Oh, good grief! I guess he can run and play all he wants!
Curious; what is the name of the rat poison?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Murphy. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The name of the rat poison was Rodentrix.. active ingredient was "cellulose from powered corn'. Anyway Murphy is fine. I took him off the Vitamin K right away and have let him run and play. He is happy go lucky again. On a side note, he did eat a ton of grass the day after I took him off the vitamin K... like voraciously... but then he's been fine since then.
Jenny Hall
ps I'm not being charged for this am I??
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I searched for Rodentrix, but could not find it.
I did find Rodentex, which is an anti coagulant rodenticide, and if a dog ate this, should be on Vitamin K1.
I also found Rodentrol, which does list cellulose as the main ingredient. Hope that is the same as your Rodentrix.
I only answer questions for the website, and do not know about charges, etc. It appear to me that you have paid a deposit for this question. I am only credited by the website for my time helping you when you rate my answer. If you chose not to rate me, your deposit will be returned.
Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it must be Rodentrol... I'm sorry I was just trying to remember the name from memory... It did say cellulose from powered corn on the box...
Thanks for your help!!
Jen
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome.
Let me know if I can help with anything else, to earn a good rating for my anwer. I hope he continues to do well.