Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Sam my 3 year old very active Golden doodle Got very overheated

Customer Question

Sam my 3 year old very active Golden doodle Got very overheated on a hike recently. I could tell he was in trouble soI leashed him and made him walk slowly until I could get him somewhere to cool him down. When we got back I wetted him down and had him lay down.
He was breathing to hard to drink for at least 25 minutes. While I was pouring water over him I noticed a brown staining on the hair around his penis. I bathed him the day before and it wasn't there . I became concerned and made a mental note to observe his pee the next time I took him outside. About an 1:45 minutes later I took him out and he had hematuria. I am traveling and couldn't locate a Vet to see him until 10:00 pmthat night. I also noticed a very large area of swelling on his inner L thigh.. The Vet suspected hemolysis due to overheating . The swelling a muscle pull.
My question is : Could the muscle injury cause the bleeding? Also, the swelling is down but he licks vigorously at the origin of the muscle, both sides, but mainly the injured side. Are we overlooking anything?
His lab values were all within normal ranges.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry to hear you are worried about Sam. I am a veterinarian, and will do my best to help.
If he had muscle damage, then "myoglobin" from the damaged muscle could get into his urine and turn it red. I would monitor his kidney function, but it sounds like that has been done, if the blood tests were normal.
Probably this was heat stroke, muscle damage or both.
I would consider anti inflammatory and/or pain drugs if the area of the muscle injury is bothering him. The arnica is a good idea. I would monitor his eating and drinking, and if he vomits or stops eating, would check his kidney values again.
Sounds like you did the right thing, and are continuing good care and watchfulness. Let me know if I can answer or help with anything else.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You for your response. Please pardon my previous typos. What I didn't mention to you, was that I had given Sam 3 doses of Previcox in the previous week, the latest being the day before his injury. When Sam runs and plays hard, he gets a little lame due to elbow dysplasia. I don't like to give it to him and rarely do. The previcox seemed to give him a mild upset stomach. I wondered if: A) The Previcox contributed to his hemolysis? B) The Previcox took away the elbow pain to the degree that he felt no physical limitations and thus injured his back leg?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Previcox, like all "NSAIDS", nonsteroidal anti inflammatory drugs, can cause prolonged bleeding.
It is possible that he may have run harder because his elbow did not hurt as much, and overdid it. If he has elbow dysplasia, I would use pain and anti inflammatory medications as well as supplements like Adequan injection, glucosamine, fish oil and the herbal product DGP (Doggone Pain).
However, you do have to limit his activity with a problem like elbow dysplasia; it will make the joint worse if he over uses it.
Let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have.