Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My Four year old shin tau female is coughing and spiriting

Customer Question

My Four year old shin tau female is coughing and spiriting up. Also runny nose and her tummy feels very warm. She's a rescue dog. I've only had her 4 days. She just received all of her shots and was spayed on 04/30/15. She has an appt with our vet day after tomorrow. Is it ok to wait until then to take her in. Today is Sunday. Please help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am so sorry to hear your new little one is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years I would be happy to help.
Without seeing her it is difficult to say what is going on. One concern is that she is showing signs of canine influenza. Recently a new strain of canine influenza has been causing serious outbreaks in many states. Unfortunately many dogs are passing due to this virus as their immune system has no way to fight off a virus it has never been introduced to.
I am going to give you some additional information to review on this virus.
https://www.avma.org/KB/Resources/Reference/Pages/Canine-Influenza-Backgrounder.aspx
One thing I would do is check her rectal temp. Normal is 100.5-102.5. If her temp is over 103.5 then this would warrant an immediate vet visit today at your local animal ER. If her temp is normal there are some things you can do at home, however, I would give you vet a call first thing in the morning and get her in rather then waiting until your scheduled appointment Tuesday.
Sterile saline drop ( we recommend Little Noses for infants in our clinic) can be used to help clear the nasal passages. 2-3 drops in each side of the nose 2-3 times per day.
Offer a bland diet of boiled chicken or boiled hamburger and white rice to try to entice her to eat. Scrambled eggs and white pasta can be added as well if needed.
If her temp is elevated as mentioned above, she starts having trouble breathing or she declines in any way then I would get her in to the ER today.
I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please let me know what the vet says. Reply back if you have additional questions and I will be happy to help.
Please note that while you have placed a deposit with Justanswer I am not compensated for my time unless a rating of ok or higher is provided. I strive to provide excellent service so please do not hesitate to reply back if I can be of further assistance.