Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

About 6 hrs ago I gave my shiba inu a her first sanitary trim.

Customer Question

About 6 hrs ago I gave my shiba inu a her first sanitary trim. it took her a min to be able to walk right after and now she will walk 20 feet before sitin down. she was red in the area before I trimmed due to urine build up.
Is this normal foe her to take so long to act normal? She does not look to be in pain.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** will be happy to help you. If the area was red and inflamed, it may be more uncomfortable now after trimming. It may just be more exposed now. If you used an electric trimmer, sometimes it can cause more razor burn. If you used scissors, make sure you didn't cut her anywhere. If the area is inflamed, it is probably uncomfortable or painful for her. I would try putting some hydrocortisone cream on the area to see if that helps. A cold compress may help as well. She probably won't go back to normal until the inflammation is under control. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.
DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm pretty good with electric trimmer so I'm sure I did not cause a burn or cut her. she is only red where she was before I trimmed her.I normally have to wipe her every night malacetic HC but I was out of town for the week and my dog sitter did not do a good job of cleaning the area. She was showing signs of being uncomfortable a day before I decided to trim the area.when should I take her to the vet if she does not feel better?
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I think it would be safe to try some hydrocortisone ointment or cold compress tonight to help relieve some of the inflammation. If she is somewhat improved tomorrow, it can probably wait until Monday to have your vet check her out if not resolved. If you don't see any improvement by tomorrow, or it seems to get worse, I would have her evaluated by a vet tomorrow. It is possible it could be her anal glands, but she would most likely be scooting. Please let me know if you have further concerns. Hope this helps.