Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

How do I tell the difference between SLO (or the beginning

Customer Question

How do I tell the difference between SLO (or the beginning signs and symptoms of it) versus just brittle nails or a random injury?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Hi if your dog's nails are not trimmed frequently they certainly can break as you have described. This is a very very common injury. I would recommend that you have a vet look at her nails as there are many things that can cause nails to be broken in dogs and the most common reason is injury. These are very painful and your dog should be sedated and have a vet cut this back below the break. They should also examine her nails closely and do a good physical exam as well. It would be a good idea to run at least a CBC, chem and complete urinalysis if you are concerned about systemic illness. But one broken nail does not point to a systemic illness.
I will check back with you tomorrow later after I am off work, in the event that you have other questions. I hope this helps you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If she generally had healthy nails I would agree with you 100% but that's not the case. I have noticed over the past several weeks that her nails will peel and split--in the past I have just gently pulled broken pieces away with little to no problems. But my point is her nails are already brittle, splitting, thin and constantly peeling away. oychomadesis?
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see so you feel that you already have a dog with unhealthy nails. There are many causes of unhealthy nails in dogs some of which are not serious and some which are a little more serious. This is a non specific finding or sign like vomiting for example. I would recommend a work up to include a CBC chem panel full urinalysis and both bacterial and fungal culture of nails. Your vet may also want to do a good food trial as food allergy disease has been associated with unhealthy nails. You could have more serious systemic diseases associated with this sign however we rule out the more common ailments first. I hope that makes sense. Please feel free to leave any other questions you have here and I will be more than happy to get back to you later today after work. Most sincerely. Dr j
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Eleanor. How is everything going?

Dr. J.