Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have owned, bred and shown dogs for over 40 years.
60411192

My vet prescribed 2mg of xanax 60 lb basset hound.

Customer Question

my vet prescribed 2mg of xanax for my 60 lb basset hound. its an amazing dosage vs. human dosage. we are going through major thunderstorms and i tried last night. 2mg didn't even phase him, i was so surprised. is it possible that he needs 3mg at the rate of .05 per lbs.
how often can i give? I am checking in with my vet.
but interested in another opinion.
BTW i have tried herbal remedies, thunder shirt and ACE at the dosage of 1.5 mg on 25 mg tablet. Nothing works. He is a male basset hound 60lb. and 8 years old.
He pants, paces and claws even after the storms are over.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. I will do my best to assist you today.

As you probably already know, there's a dosage range for Xanax in dogs: usually 0.02 – 0.1 mg/kg initially, 2-4 times daily, as needed. This calculates out to be 0.5 mg to 3 mg at one time. I typically start at the lower end of the dosage range and increase it if necessary.
In most of my patients, I've found that this drug is reasonable effective for noise phobias but he may just be one of the dogs for whom a higher dosage is needed or it's not going to be terribly effective for him.

I don't know if you've tried
Peppermint oil, just a drop, rubbed on the pads which may help some although I'm not sure that it will make a huge difference if he's that anxious but it might be worth a try.
I'd purchase this from a grocery store in the spice section. It’s organic food flavoring (not an extract which is alcohol based) that is essentially peppermint oil in sunflower oil which is safer than straight peppermint essential oils.

Valerian Extract is another option which works best if given an hour before the anticipated event. I like Buck Mountain's product 1.5 cc/100 lbs.

I hope this helps and that the increased amount of Xanax will be helpful in calming his phobias. Deb