Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My dog has cancer, and degenerating bones in her spine and

Customer Question

My dog has cancer, and degenerating bones in her spine and pelvic bones. She has been on Prednisone 20mg for a few months. She lost use of one hind leg, has a large cantaloupe size growth on her back, but has been dealing with it until 2 days ago, she lost the use of her other hind leg and has been urinating on herself and now is defacating on herself. She has never had an accident in the house so she is humiliated, embarresed and depressed. We need to set her free. We can't afford to take her to the vet. I can't get her into the car anymore. I am wondering what the result would be if she accidentally ate one or more of morphine sulfate er 30mg tbcr tablets, or 50 mg trazadone hcl tablets. she last weighed 51 pounds. Thanks for any help you can give me. Kim
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am Dr. Emily and I would like to assist with you question today. The individual this was originally for is not currently available.
Expert:  Dr. Emily replied 1 year ago.
I am very sorry to hear what is going on with your dog. What would happen if she ate either or both of those medication is unpredictable. Her normal trazodone does is 100 mg twice daily so eating a 50 mg could have some mild sedation effects. No specific information was located regarding trazodone overdoses in veterinary patients. The adverse effect profile for trazodone in dogs is not well documented. Potential adverse effects include sedation, lethargy, ataxia, cardiac conduction disturbances, increased anxiety, and aggression. When given with morphine, respiratory depression is more likely. Overdosage may produce profound respiratory and/or CNS depression in most species. Injectable doses >100 mg/kg are thought to be fatal in dogs. Her normal dose would be between 10 mg and 40 mg twice daily -- just to give you an idea of what we would intentionally give for pain control