How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sally G. Your Own Question
Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 9330
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Sally G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 55 pound dog just ate a small box of the small wooden matches,

Customer Question

My 55 pound dog just ate a small box of the small wooden matches, 1.5", small green head, 32 per box. They don't have a lot of phosphorus on the end but they are matches. Is this an emergency trip to the vet, or keep an eye out for problems?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you. The original expert you as asked for is not online at this time . My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you today.

The toxicity level of phosphourous can be mild to moderate. Watch for vomiting , lethargy, depression, low heart rate walking drunk

link of symptoms here

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/matches/

The matches themselves because they were wooden could be a worry here as well. These can break off and splinter, depending on how the dog chewed them up. The best thing to do is feed the dog a few pieces of whole grain bread which will surround the bro***** *****en pieces and carry them safely through the intestines. Metamucil will do the same, and go by directions on the package. Watch for signs of an obstruction of the bowel should the matches get bound up in one spot. Symptoms of this will be sudden lack of appetite, vomiting, diarrhea and lethargy.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
If you are not sure how much the dog actually ingested then please call your local veterinary hospital or poison control hotline

Related Dog Questions