Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

MY DOG DIED A FEW DAYS AGO AND IM DEVASTATED, IM LOOKING FOR

Customer Question

MY DOG DIED A FEW DAYS AGO AND IM DEVASTATED, IM LOOKING FOR A REASON WHY I KNOW I WILL PROBABLY NEVER KNOW BUT I HOPE TO GET SOME IDEAS, HE WAS A 4 YEAR OLD POM, HE WAS BITTEN BY A TICK ABOUT A MONTH AGO, I REMOVED THE TICK AND TOOK HIM TO BE GROOMED AND HE WAS AGAIN TREATED FOR TICKS WHICH AT THE TIME OF THE BITE IT PROBABLY HAD ALREADY WORN OFF HE WAS LAST TREATED MAYBE 3-4 MONTHS BEFORE, OTHER THAN THAT HE WAS HEALTHY HIS ONLY ISSUE WAS ABOUT 2 1/2 YEARS AGO SUDDENLY HE ACTED LIKE HE WAS IN PAIN HE WOULD YELP WHEN HE LIFTED HIS HEAD AND DID NOT WANT TO MOVE, THE ISSUE SEEMED TO BE WITH HIS NECK OR BACK THE FIRST TIME IT HAPPENED I TOOK HIM TO THE VET THEY BANDAGED HIM AND GAVE HIM PAIN MEDS THEY WERE NOT SURE WHAT WAS WRONG BUT I DO KNOW THERE WAS NO TRAUMA, AFTER 1 DAY HE WAS FINE AS IF NOTHING EVER HAPPENED SO I JUST LET IT GO, AFTER THAT ABOUT 2 TIMES A YEAR THE SAME THING WOULD HAPPEN HE WOULD BECOME LETHARGIC NOT WANT TO MOVE KEEP HIS HEAD DOWN LOW AND YELP IF HE LIFTED IT UP,THEN AFTER A DAY OR EVEN 8 HOURS HE WOULD BE BACK TO NORMAL LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED I DID SOME RESEARCH AND THOUGHT IT COULD BE DEGENERATIVE DISC DISEASE, BUT I DID NOT HAVE THE FUNDS FOR THE TREATMENT AND I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS LIFE THREATENING, I WOULD GIVE HIM A ANTI-INFLAMMATORY FOR DOGS AND HE WOULD BE OK...THEN ON THURSDAY I NOTICED HE WAS NOT AS ACTIVE I ASSUMED HE WAS HAVING A EPISODE LIKE BEFORE, HE WAS STILL EATING AND I NOTICE HE WAS DRINKING A LOT,FRIDAY WAS THE SAME BUT HE BEGAN TO WALK UNSTABLE LIKE HE WAS DRUNK, HE ALSO WOULD MAKE REPETITIVE MOVEMENTS WITH FIRST HIS FRONT LEG THEN HIS BACK LEG, HE ALSO MADE REPETITIVE MOVEMENTS WITH IS TONGUE ALMOST SEEM TO TWITCH WITH HIS FACE, HE ALSO WOULD WALK IN CIRCLES AND HAD SEVERAL BOWEL MOVEMENTS THAT APPEARED TO LOOK A LITTLE ORANGE, IT WAS NOT RED BUT ORANGE WHICH PUZZLED ME, BY SATURDAY HE WAS NOT EATING SO I MADE A APPOINTMENT FOR MONDAY WITH THE VET, SUNDAY MORNING HE STARTED TO YELP AS IF HE WAS IN PAIN I TOOK HIM OUTSIDE TO SEE WHAT HE WOULD DO HE WALKED IN A CIRCLE HIS EYES WERE WATERY AND MOUTH LOOK WET, I TOOK HIM BACK IN LAID HIM IN HIS CRATE AND WENT TO PICK MY SON UP I WAS BACK WITHIN 20 MINUTES AND HE WAS DEAD IN A POOL OF WHAT I ASSUME WAS VOMIT WHICH WAS BROWN AND KIND OF YELLOW. I KNOW I CANT GET A DEFINITE ANSWER BUT SOME IDEAS WOULD HOPEFULLY PUT MY MIND AT EASE, I FEEL I SHOULD HAVE NOT WAITED I SHOULD HAVE TAKEN HIM BACK TO THE EMERGENCY VET, ANY ANSWERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANK YOU
Category: Dog
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there!
My name is ***** ***** I am so sorry to hear about what happened with Cavalli. I know how traumatic it an be when a pet suddenly dies at home, and I would like to help ease your mind a bit. Before we start to talk about possibilities, I'd like to ask if you vet was able to offer a necropsy for Cavalli?