Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in large and small animal medicine.
16881297

I have a st Bernard 5yrs old. He was treated .

Customer Question

Hello I have a st Bernard 5yrs old. He was treated for hotspots. the vet refilled his script because he started to shew his leg again. He has no open spopts but is still scratching and his hind leg twitches. He also has a fish smell at times.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Hot spots are common in this breed because of their fur. They usually start with an allergc reaction causing them to chew at an area and then the staph bacteria, that is normal flora on their skin, overgrows due to the constant irritation , warmth and moisture. The best treatment is as follows:Give Cookie Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 10 days.Apply Betadine to the areas that appear red or irritated every 8 hrs. Clip away all the hair in this area. This is a skin infection called a pyoderma caused by the irritation. These can both be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.Bath weekly with Malaseb or Dermaplex which will remove the scabs or flakes. This can be purchased at the pet store or online.If there is no response, then your vet will have to run tests such as skin scrapings and cultures to determine the cause and then they will treat according to these results. You did not say what your vet had prescribed but if it is an antibiotic, this should be giiven as well to decrease the bacteria that is causing these lesions. Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry. I was hoping you would direct your answer towards his foul smell and leg twitching.
I am so sorry that I did not address these issues. The smell is due to the pyoderma...common wt skin issues. This will resolve once the pyoderma is under control. The leg twitching is most likely due to the irritation that sweet Cookie is feeling from this condition....follow the instructions and see if all of these resolves.
Does that help?

I'm just following up on our conversation about Cookie. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta