Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our vet has prescribed gabapentin 30 mg 12 yr old golden

Customer Question

Our vet has prescribed gabapentin 30 mg for our 12 yr old golden retriever. She said to have the prescription filled at the pharmacy we use. I just read an article online that said not to give dogs gabapentin that people take. It contains xylitol. Is that true? Also, how do you tell if your dog is in pain? Our golden doesn't whimper or make any sound. He sleeps for about 20 min to an hour in one area then moves to another place to lie down and sleep.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
First, I do want to note that only the oral liquid suspension contains Xylitol. Based on the volume of that artificial sugar in the suspension, at pain management doses, this should not be a dangerous dose for your lass. Still, if you are using the liquid version instead of a tablet, then you will want to speak to your pharmacist. They should be aware of this risk and be able to arrange so that her medication is given to you in Xylitol-free tablets or that any liquid formulations be compounded rather than using the commercially available Xylitol containing oral liquid. So, it is only one version of Gabapentin medication that contains this and not all of it. So, if there is any doubt, then just plan to have a word with her pharmacist.
Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** dogs can be more stoic and subtle with about displaying pain then we are. Therefore, we do need to monitor them for non-verbal clues. To help you assess her comfort, I would advise a wee peek at this chart @ https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/92/af/f7/92aff7612b559ab6e52d616e01e102b8.jpg (just copy/paste the web address into your browser). This will help you assess her pain level and make sure she is as comfortable as possible.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best,
Dr. B.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )