Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My dog, Otis, a year and a half year old black lab mix, has

Customer Question

My dog, Otis, a year and a half year old black lab mix, has had diarrhea and terrible gas for 5 days. I called a vet and she said as long as he is acting himself and not lethargic, to treat it by giving him very little dog food in the morning and in the evening, only give him overcooked white rice and a tablespoon of pumpkin. So, I have been doing that for the past two days and I think the gas has actually gotten worse. The diarrhea is still there but last night, he was able to go all night without an accident. He is acting himself except tonight I've noticed he keeps standing up rather than laying beside me. I wonder if the gas is giving him belly pains and standing is more comfortable?? He also is keeping his tail way between his leg as he stands.
Overall, his behavior seems OK - playful, not lethargic and wants to eat. he is drinking water and his nose is very wet so I don't think there is any threat of dehydration. At what point do I take him in for an exam? I leave for a business trip tomorrow for three days with only the babysitter to care for my daughter and Otis and I'm getting nervous about his condition. I really thought the rice would do the trick.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, thank you for using this site to help you with your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years.
You can try upping the pumpkin for this size dog and that may help however five days is a long period to be having diarrhea, especially if this is a sudden onset.
If you have not had the stool tested for parasites or protazoa I would do that.
Because you are going away for a few days, you have to put your mind at ease when you leave. So the very least I would do is bring in a stool sample for testing. Maybe your sitter could do that for you.
The gas will give some pain if he cannot expel it, and you can try giving a gas x to settle the stomach. You can see dosing on the chart below. That may relieve some of the pressure of the gas.
If it continues it may be bacteria in the intestinal tract that antibiotics will take care of. I would also be adding some plain yogurt as it helps with putting good bacteria in the system. a could of tablespoons in with the food should help.
Since you are leaving tomorrow do write a note of permissions for your sitter to seek medical help for the dog.
scroll down to gas x
www.walkervalleyvet.com/otc-meds.htm
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Jut a note about him keeping his tail between his legs. Since he has had soft stool his anal glands are probably sore or possible full. Usually these glands break open with a bowel movement but if the stool is too soft they do not break open and then they may need to be expressed by your vet.