Ann M.
Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

My dogs face is pretty swelled up she plays outside a lot and

Customer Question

My dogs face is pretty swelled up she plays outside a lot and hunts a lot she has virtually no appetite which is very unusual
Category: Dog
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you.
This is an allergic reaction. How much does she weigh?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She weighs about 45 pounds and now her legs have got hives we think it might be ants or bees
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We'd like to know if we can give her children's Benadryl we live far from a veteran
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, this is definitely an allergic reaction. Give her 50mg of benadryl every 6 hours. That equates to 4 teaspoons of children's benadryl. If she is not at all better by morning, see your vet for a steroid injection.
I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much I Ann. We will get on it immediately. Can you recommend a baking soda bath or anything like that
Expert:  Ann M. replied 1 year ago.
That is not likely to help, since the problem is systemic (whole body) at this time. Cool water bath may help relieve the itching, but not as much as the benadryl. I would actually set an alarm and wake up in the middle of the night to give the next dose at 6 hours. Best of luck!