Candy
Candy, Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My dog just ate 6 oz of mink oil...leather conditioner

Customer Question

Hi - My dog just ate 6 oz of mink oil...leather conditioner and I'm trying to find out if he's ok lol
Category: Dog
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I am sorry to hear that your boy has you worried.
Mink oil is simply a form of rendered mink fat and is not toxic. It can however lead to vomiting and diarrhea. One concern would be that if he vomits he could aspirate some of the oil in to the lungs resulting in a complicated form of pneumonia.
In some dogs this could also cause irritation to the pancreas.
We would not induce vomiting in this case due to the risk of aspiration and because vomiting is often a side effect of ingesting this itself.
What I would do is give 2-3 pieces of bread to try to soak up some of the oil in the stomach.
If he has any vomiting and or diarrhea then I would feed a bland diet of either boiled chicken or hamburger and white rice for a few days.
If he has vomiting that seem excessive, stops eating, seems painful in the abdomen( could indicate pancreatitis) or develops a couch then I would suggest having him seen by a vet
I hope this helps and he does ok. Please reply back of you have additional questions and I will be happy to continue.
Please note that while you have placed a deposit with Justanswer I am not compensated for my time unless a rating of ok or higher is provided. I strive to provide excellent service so please do not hesitate to reply back if I can be of further assistance.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Candy - we just moved in and I never thought twice about the container of leather softner... until I found it licked clean and chewed up. Poor guy, I will keep an eye on him and let him hang out near the door this evening :-)
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. This is something I saw all the time when I worked large animals. Never could figure out what it is about this oil that dogs seem to love . Rereading my answer it looks like spell check changed a word on me. It sound read if he develops a cough not couch.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Lol- Im used to that and deciphered. I can't imagine what is in it either...Thanks again
Expert:  Candy replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.
If no further assistance is needed I would greatly appreciate it if you could take a few minutes to provide a rating so we can close out this question and I am compensated by justanswer