Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian
49838867

I used a product called baby foot which are slippers you use

Customer Question

I used a product called baby foot which are slippers you use on your feet for your foot to peel. I put on socks to hold the slippers in place. Just now my dog comes walking through the living room with one of the socks I used and threw in the laundry last night. One of the top 6 ingredients is glycolic acid listed as #5. Which I have read is extremely toxic to dogs. He is 65 lb lab. I actually licked one of the socks to see if any product was on there and I could taste it. I'm sure the amount he got was very small because he only had the sock for a few seconds before I yanked it out of his mouth. I gave him plenty of water to help it flush out of his mouth. Does this warrant a trip to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your girl got a hold of the socks that you used over Baby Foot slippers.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
This product's main ingredient is Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA), which does contain glycolic acid as one of its components. The ingredients in this products are primarily chemical peel ingredients. They don't necessarily show symptoms of burning right away, they usually lead to irritation and a slow slough of skin cells.The best thing to do with exposure is to rinse the exposed area (his mouth) repeatedly with cool water.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
There really isn't much to do beyond that to prevent burns and sloughing.If you see symptoms I would expect to see drooling, red swollen gums and ulcers on his gums and tongue developing over the next week. If he remains fine over the next week then I would not expect him to have any problems.At this point flushing is all that can be done, so a veterinary visit isn't necessarily indicated.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
If you do notice any symptoms feeding soft, canned foods or adding water to dry food to make a mush would be indicated.Then he should see his veterinarian for a prescription of sucralfate which coats ulcers, and antibiotics to prevent a secondary bacterial infection of the ulcer. An oral rinse like CHX rinse to keep oral bacteria levels low would be an excellent idea too.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Given his very limited, second hand type exposure and that you took the sock away quickly and rinsed his mouth I suspect that he will be fine and won't have any untoward effects from this.Just watch him for any symptoms, check his mouth daily for redness and ulcers.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any further questions for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i don't think so at this time thanks for the detailed answer
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome.Please keep in touch and let me know how things progress for him. I think he will be fine, but I'd love a follow up.