VetTechErin
VetTechErin, Licensed Vet Tech
Experience:  Published author in veterinary medical journals and on the Veterinary Information Network with a focus in toxicology
24209094

My 4 week old puppy was fine the first few days I had her and

Customer Question

My 4 week old puppy was fine the first few days I had her and just started throwing up her formula after she eats. What can I do to help her
Category: Dog
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She drinks water but just not her formula.
Expert:  VetTechErin replied 1 year ago.
Hi there! My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to help you with your question. How many times has Mona vomited? Is she acting normally otherwise or is she showing other signs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So far she has vomited twice today and she seems to be acting a little lazier today than yesterday.
Sometimes vomiting in a puppy can be as innocuous as gas. Sometimes it can be an indication of something more serious. Puppies are really prone to developing hypoglycemia when they are very young and they are vomiting while not taking in their regular food. Just to be on the safe side, give her about a half-hour where she doesn't have anything to eat or drink. You can rub a little bit of karo syrup, honey, or maple syrup on her gums to keep her blood sugar up. If she is feeling a bit lethargic from low blood sugar, that should help to perk her up while giving her tummy some time to settle. Once she has gone the half-hour, so long as she's not vomiting, you can try to reintroduce just a small amount of her diet to see if she keeps it down. If you want to try a little bit of simethcone (which is Gas-x), you can purchase it at a local pharmacy. Make sure you're not purchasing a sugar free formula, as some can contain xylitol, which is toxic to dogs. You can give her a drop or two and gently rub her tummy to help clear up any gas. If she keeps down the formula, you can give her little bits at a time, waiting 10-15 minutes between feeding to make sure she's holding it down before giving her more. Because of the concerns for dehydration, low blood sugar, and diseases like Parvo that can affect puppies, if she starts to vomit again, or you start seeing diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, weakness, lethargy, or she just isn't able to hold down any food at all, get her straight into a vet clinic for treatment, as young puppies can decline very quickly.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mona Soto. How is everything going?

VetTechErin