Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is receiving IV fluids kidney failure. He

Customer Question

My dog is receiving IV fluids for acute kidney failure. He is a young dog (16 mos) and has a heart condition (severe mitral valve dysplasia). The diuretics he takes for his heart condition (fuorsimide) triggered this kidney failure. His creatnine went from 2.7 to 6.6 in 3 days. We reduced the diuretics and put him on IV at our vet’s office. He has responded well to the fluids, but his creatnine has only dropped from 6.6 to 6.2 in 2 days. Our vet says we can continue the IV but it doesn’t look hopeful. What do you think? Is it worth continuing the fluids or is it a lost cause? Thank you for your help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Poor lad! It does sound like he is being bombarded by quite a bit here.Now even though his creatnine has only dropped a bit, I would say that it is important to always remember to treat the dog and not just the numbers.So, look at Copper. If he is brighter and responded well, then that is the most important guide for us and we can consider trying IV fluids a bit longer. Or you could consider swapping to subcutaneous fluids to be given at home (More Info). That way he could at least be at home with you while you give him a chance to respond to this kidney insult. Of course, we do have to accept that he does have a guarded prognosis, but if he is responding and feels better; then it'd be worth giving him a little more time and treatment to see if we can make a difference (if those kidney cells are just inflamed/damaged and not dead). Please take care,Dr. B.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Copper. How is everything going?

nekovet