Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

15 YR LAB AT NIGHT ONLY AND DOES LET US KNOW TO LET HIM

Customer Question

15 YR LAB POOPS AT NIGHT ONLY AND DOES LET US KNOW TO LET HIM OUT. IT JUST STARTED A MONTH AGO WITH NO CHANGE IN DIET.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for using this site to help you My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. Is the stool soft or normal? Though the diet has not changed, has anything changed in the home?Any new pets or family members? Have you had the stool checked for parasites?
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
What breed of dog is this?Have you ever caught the dog in the act of going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
this is a big old lab. the stool is soft . Never checked for parasites tho doesn t look like it in the stool. No as to seeing the dog go at night. Yes, in the day time and all appeaars the same. Still soft and he walks as he goes as is his usual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is a sweet dog and he has trouble getting into the truck but still has no trouble getting on the bed. He does nothing bad during the day and we can not understand his not asking to go out when we are all sleeping. He looks healthy and is not very grey for 15.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This just started a month ago and he never pooped inside before and now it now it is 10 times .
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information. Many parasites or protazoa are not seen in stool. you may see tape worms in stoorl on on the dog's anus but things like cociddia or giardia , whipworm etc. you would not see. This has to be done under a microscope. The dog's age is concerning as to it suddenly happening. When dogs are fully potty trained they do not like to mess up the home because they feel it is their den, so because this has started only within a month and nothing else has changed in his life I would worry about a neurological problem where he does not know he has to go until it just comes out. The second thing I worry about with senior dogs is canine cognitive dysfunction. This is much like human dementia where the dog just forgets what was its norm and most owners do not see small subtle changes in the dog until something major like eliminating in the home starts. I would suggest a senior health check. I would not allow him to have run of the home until you find the problem because he is not happy with going inside the home either I am sure.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 1 year ago.
Sometimes the nerves in senior dogs are affected and that does not allow them to know or feel they have to go.You said he walks and goes, did you mean you take him for a walk and he squats to go or does he continue walking and it comes out?