Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I' think my dog has nasal problems but I'm not sure how serious

Customer Question

I' think my dog has nasal problems but I'm not sure how serious it is. He's a 6lb Pomeranian 3 years old. When he was a pup I got all of his shots done at the vets and they talked me into getting this other 'shot' done which wasn't actually a needle, it was a nasal spray the squirted up his tiny nostril and ever since that day I've kind of suspected it did some damage to his nasal passage but not sure. I don't remember what exactly the vaccination was abd can't find the papers. Anyway since then he's always had these random cough/reverse sneeze episodes lasting anywhere from 10 seconds to 3 minutes, but I never really worried about it because it doesn't seem to bother him or effect his breathing. But lately in the past week or so I've been noticing he's been snoring pretty loud in his sleep and it sounds like his nose is stuffy. Along with more often episodes of the cough/reverse sneeze, which seems to happen when he gets overly excited or after running around. But I started getting pretty concerned last night when he had a pretty long continuous episode of regular sneezing, one after another after another, for between half hour to an hour, and he wouldn't stop licking and soaking his paws. But last year around September he was licking his paws a lot and acting a little funny so I took him to the vet and explained, they gave me allergy pills for him saying it was allergies, after finishing the round of allergy medication he seemed to be back to himself. Anyway maybe it is just allergies flaring up again and its nothing to worry about .. But I don't remember the stuffy/snoring nose and sneezing last year which is why I'm raising concern. 2 years ago he had an accident which caused his left eye ball to fall out, but he was immediately rushed to emergency and I had him in surgery where they were able to put the eye back in, he is now blind in his left eye but cosmetically it looks completely normal and it still moves around normally, looking at him you would never know that it was replaced. Should I be looking into a more serious problem ? or is it just his allergies ? Thankyou
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Now I suspect the intranasal vaccination Louie had was for kennel cough. And while it is possible for this to irritate and sensitize the back of the nasal passage (as anything squirted up the nose could) and nasopharynx, we'd not expect it to do so for this length of time. Instead, I would be more suspicious that he may have issues with low grade allergies, a degree of tracheal collapse (with his increased coughing with excitement), and/or there could be a polyp or growth lurking in the back of his nasopharynx. With all this in mind, I would note that all of these could cause snoring, congestion, and increased respiratory noise. The growths could do so because they would be blocking normal air flow turbulance. With the allergic concerns, this could arise due to secondary nasal passageway inflammation again impacting airflow. With all these in mind, the first step here would be to consider restarting his allergy medication +/- a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ie Metacam, Rimadyl, Onsior, Previcox). These should address any allergies and reduce any inflammation triggering his signs. If he settles, then we are happy and would want to monitor (but be aware that he could have allergy flare ups this time of year if pollens are to blame). Otherwise, we would consider having his vet xray +/- scope his nasal passages. These diagnostics can be helpful in cases like this as they can help you to see what is actually going on within the nasal passages (be it inflammation, a growth, or anything else). Depending on the findings of these diagnostics, it can ensure you are on the right track treatment-wise or make you aware of any other issues that may be lurking and need to be nipped in the bud. Overall, it is difficult to link the intranasal vaccination with his current signs. Therefore, we'd be more concerned about possible allergies triggering all of this via nasal inflammation. Otherwise, we do have those additional concerns to be wary of. Therefore, if you find he doesn't respond to allergy treatment, then further testing would be prudent to make sure there is nothing lurking that needs to be addressed for Louie.I hope this information is helpful.If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!All the best,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )